Friday, December 21, 2007

Why We Do It

In high school, I worked with a nonprofit community based organization called Orange County On Track whose main component involved high school mentors working with elementary school children to act as good role models, promote healthy lifestyles such as resisting drugs and gangs, and improve scholastic achievement. I got a Christmas card from them with an insert of an essay from a 5th grader.

"A Time That Changed My Life"
By Dante

A time that changed my life was when I entered Orange County On Track. On Track is a program that helps you with your homework and how to behave better. Also On Track teaches you how to say no to drugs, gangs, and other bad things in the world. You get mentors too that help you with stuff.

When I first entered On Track, I was very shy because I was new and I didn't know what it was about. Then, I saw that my two friends, Edgar and Jefferson, were in On Track too...We went out to play kickball-basketball. We separated into teams and started playing...After that we went into the MPR and did a lesson about not doing drugs. I answered 10 questions because I wanted stickers so I could get a cool prize. After On Track was over at 6:30 I realized how cool it was and I wanted to stay in the program.

When I finished my first year of On Track I went in the second year of On Track because I knew how good they were to us kids and they want us to make the right decisions in the present and the future.

No comments: