Thursday, December 06, 2007

Peds Preceptorships Again

I wrote about my pediatric preceptorship several weeks ago, but we just had our last session. As a whole, I really enjoyed it; over my four sessions, I worked with two attendings with different approaches to teaching (one had us see as many cases as we could; the other had us see only one case but follow it from start to finish). I had a great experience; the last two sessions, I saw cases of a thyroglossal cyst, an intervertebral disc calcification, a suspected Kawasaki's. I had a chance to talk to families, examine children, order labs and tests, and review those tests with the patient. It was pretty fun. Unlike most preceptorships, mine was in the ER so we didn't have any well-child check-up visits. I guess I didn't learn as much about general pediatric health visits and growth charts and preventative care. But that's okay. I think I'm much more interested in diseases and therapies rather than annual physicals. Though obviously the latter is incredibly important and comprises a bulk of pediatric medicine.

No comments: