Friday, November 30, 2007

Anesthesia Shadowing

I shadowed a pediatric anesthesiologist for an afternoon early this week. It was really fun! We saw a variety of cases, from severe (neuroblastoma) to more elective (ingrown toenail). It was interesting to see the differences in adult and pediatric anesthesia (preference for general anesthesia, inhalation induction versus IV induction). I noticed that pediatric anesthesiologists and surgeons are incredibly friendly. They're great people, willing to talk to me and show me things. I got to put in an LMA (laryngeal mask airway), draw and push, and see patients pre- and post-op. I got lucky with a bunch of short cases (anesthesia tends to be most boring during the maintenance period) and the residents taking me around were great. I got asked a bunch of questions, reminding me of how little I remember, but I had a fun time.

No comments: