Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gratitude

As is the case every year, when I think about what I'm thankful for, I think about all the wonderful things in my life I take for granted: my family, my friends, my health, my education, opportunities, the small things - food on the table, a warm bed, someone to talk to when I need it. I appreciate being appreciated. I love seeing beauty in so many things around me. I love being swept by emotion. I love being commanded by reason. I complain a lot about juggling everything in my life, but I'm so grateful to have all those things to juggle.

When I write these Thanksgiving posts, I try to pick something very particular to focus on as I'm sure every year, there is a common battery of thanked things. This year, I'm thankful for Thanksgiving. To see friends I haven't seen for years (or year, I guess) was the happiest ever. I have ineffable gratitude for those things outside of school that allow me to maintain who I am. It's so incredibly easy to get consumed by medical school such that it becomes your identity. I'm struggling to keep my head out of that water. I'm spending more time with friends, seeing more of the city, eating at different restaurants, even reading up on more non-syllabus things (http://caseoftheday.blogspot.com/). Sometime soon, I'll start regretting this when I realize that efficiency of studying is all that counts in Boards. But right now, I'm so thankful that these things, hardly career-directed, are part of my life. The anticipation keeps me awake in lecture each day. The memories keep me warm as I'm walking back home.

No comments: