Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Money

I guess when I was thinking about the last two posts, I realized that money isn't very important to me. This is not necessarily a noble principle thing; I think it's more related to how I grew up. I never had to worry about financial concerns growing up; this may have been related to a culturally-related money-insulated environment. I am lucky in that way. Yet I grew up in a non-materialistic home. I went through a phase in elementary school when a lot of my friends were moving to "Turtle Rock" (a more affluent neighborhood) and driving fancier cars, and I was jealous. But over time, my parents convinced me that it was unnecessary, unimportant. I think that's stayed with me.

This is one of those odd hypothetical questions. If someone were to give me a bolus of money (a million dollars? ten million dollars? a hundred million dollars?), I'm not sure what I would do with it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd do nothing with it. I'd probably pay off my loans, but I can't see myself purchasing a car or planning a vacation or buying anything extravagant. For some reason, that just doesn't occur to me. If I were particularly prudent, I would figure out how to invest the money. If I were particularly generous, I would donate. Those are things I should do. But knowing myself, I'd be strangely apathetic.

No comments: